Stephen M. Juris
is a partner in Fried Frank's White Collar Defense, Regulatory Enforcement & Investigations, Commercial Litigation, and Energy and Energy Enforcement Practices. Mr. Juris has extensive experience litigating complex commercial disputes and representing corporate and individual clients in connection with government investigations and regulatory enforcement matters. He has represented clients in sophisticated commercial and appellate litigation in state and federal courts, and has also conducted internal investigations across a diverse range of industries.
Mr. Juris has been recognized as a National Litigation Star and New York Local Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation
, which described Mr. Juris as “a gifted wordsmith in both speech and on paper
,” “calming when faced with adversity
,” and “a true asset
.” He has been recognized by Chambers and Partners
as a Noted Practitioner in White Collar Crime and Government Investigations. He also has been recognized by Legal 500
in its Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation, and White Collar Criminal Defense categories, which described Mr. Juris as “super-talented
” and “extremely responsive and knowledgeable
Mr. Juris' regulatory and government investigations experience includes:
- Cases and investigations involving allegations of securities, commodities, accounting, tax, insurance, and other complex frauds;
- Investigations by regulators and law enforcement agencies concerning broker-dealer trading practices, insider trading, market manipulation, and other forms of alleged market abuse in the securities, fixed-income, and commodity markets;
- Criminal, regulatory, congressional, and other investigations concerning the structuring and sale of collateralized debt obligations and residential mortgage backed securities;
- Investigations and internal reviews regarding alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other US anti-corruption and asset forfeiture laws;
- Cases and investigations concerning the oversight and operation of not-for-profit entities, the application of foreign patrimony laws to international cultural property, "pay-to-play" arrangements and the use of placement agents in connection with the investment of public pension funds, and alleged violations of the antitrust laws; and
- Internal investigations for corporate clients regarding a diverse range of matters, including inquiries concerning the application of US trade secrets laws and the alleged misuse of corporate property.
Mr. Juris' civil and commercial litigation experience includes:
- Private securities litigation and litigation involving sophisticated financial products and accounting-related matters;
- Complex commercial litigation arising out of US and transnational business disputes, including litigation concerning contract and partnership disputes, complex aerospace-related disputes, civil RICO litigation, and litigation arising from international business transactions;
- Litigation involving alleged Ponzi schemes and other frauds, as well as litigation arising from alleged fraudulent conveyances;
- Litigation arising out of business combinations, mergers and acquisitions, and the acquisition of media properties;
- Litigation relating to commercial real estate properties, secured debt, and insurance coverage disputes; and
- Bankruptcy-related litigation and adversary proceedings in multiple jurisdictions.
Mr. Juris is a regular contributor to Forbes
, Business Crimes Bulletin
, the New York Law Journal
, and Bloomberg BNA's Computer Technology Law Report
on issues relating to governmental investigations, white collar defense, and securities enforcement. In addition, he has extensive experience speaking on issues relating to federal criminal practice, regulatory enforcement, and corporate internal investigations.
Prior to joining Fried Frank, Mr. Juris was a partner at Morvillo Abramowitz Grand Iason & Anello PC. He also served as law clerk to the Honorable Robert W. Sweet, US District Judge for the Southern District of New York.
Member, New York Council of Defense Lawyers
Member, New York State Bar Association’s Hedge Fund and Capital Markets Committee
Member, New York State Bar Association’s Committee on White Collar Criminal Litigation
Member, American Bar Association’s White Collar Crime Committee
Member, English-American Litigation Forum
Member, Federal Bar Council