Alexander B. Sutherland
is an associate in the Real Estate Department resident in the New York office.
Mr. Sutherland represents developers, lenders, owners and institutional investors in a variety of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, financing, development and leasing of commercial, residential, hospitality and mixed-use properties.
Recent representations include:
- Blackstone in connection with the following transactions:
- Combined US$227 million mortgage and mezzanine financing to affiliates of a major sponsor to finance the acquisition of, and certain improvements to, a sprawling 400 acre hotel and resort property.
- US$300 million mortgage loan to an affiliate of Extell Development Company in connection with Extell's acquisition and development of the property known as Central Park Tower, where Extell is constructing Manhattan's first Nordstrom department store, and a residential tower intended to be one of the tallest residential buildings in the Western Hemisphere.
- Extell Development Company in its US$530 million mortgage and mezzanine financing for Brooklyn Point, a 68-story luxury residential tower in Downtown Brooklyn.
- RXR Realty in connection with the following transactions:
- Refinancing of 237 Park Avenue in New York City. Mr. Sutherland's role in this project was noted by CoStar.
- Construction loan and joint venture for the redevelopment of Pier 57 at West 15th Street in New York City.
- Acquisition and financing of the one-million-square-foot building located at 32 Old Slip in New York City, and a subsequent 10-year, US$375 million balance sheet loan from Nuveen Real Estate to replace the construction loan.
- Acquisition, financing, and later equity recapitalization of 61 Broadway, a 33-story, 787,000-square-foot office tower in lower Manhattan.
- RXR Realty and The Blackstone Group in their US$285 million refinancing from Dekabank Deutsche Girozentrale for 1330 Avenue of the Americas in New York City.
- GreenOak Real Estate, in a joint venture with Slate Property Group, in the acquisition and financing of Oriana, a 39-story luxury rental building located at 420 East 54th Street in New York City.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. in connecition with the following transactions:
- US$748 million mortgage and mezzanine financing relating to 20 Times Square in New York City.
- US$600 million construction loan to CIM Group and its partner LIVWRK for a mixed-use development at 85 and 95 Jay Street in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.
- Tishman Speyer in its US$707 million transaction to develop two 27-story office towers in Long Island City, Queens. Mr. Sutherland's role in this project was noted by REBusiness Online.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Sutherland is recognized as a Rising Star in Real Estate by Legal 500.
Bar Admissions/Licensed Jurisdictions
New York; Connecticut