Matthew V. Soran
is a partner in the Corporate Department and the Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity Practice, resident in New York.
Mr. Soran has significant experience in mergers and acquisitions, having represented private investment groups and public and private companies in mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, carveout transactions, joint ventures, recapitalizations, growth equity investments, venture investments, secondary sales of private equity limited partnership interests, and other corporate and governance matters.
Mr. Soran regularly advises industry leading companies globally. His recent representations include:
- TPG Sixth Street Partners in its sale of a majority equity interest in AFS Technologies, a software/SaaS solutions provider in the food and beverage industry, to STG Partners.
- Catalent on numerous engagements including its acquisition of Cook Pharmica for US$950 million, Accucaps Industries Limited, Pharmapak Technologies, Micron Technologies, and Redwood Bioscience.
- Thomson Reuters on its acquisition of Clarient Global and Avox Limited from DTCC and a bank shareholder consortium.
- Community Education Centers on its acquisition by The GEO Group, Inc. for US$360 million.
- Orangewood Partners on numerous engagements including its partnership with ABDD Capital to acquire Taco Bell stores, a strategic investment by SunBridge Capital Management into its specialty finance platform Peaceable Street Capital, its investment in K2 Towers, and its acquisition of a majority interest in George Industries.
- Boulder Brands on its acquisition of Glutino Food Group and on its sale to Pinnacle Foods for approximately US$975 million.
- Guardsmark on its acquisition by Universal Services of America.
- Baring Private Equity Asia on the sale of a minority equity interest to Affiliated Managers Group.
- Yacktman Asset Management on the sale of a majority equity interest to Affiliated Managers Group.
A frequent speaker and writer, Mr. Soran recently participated in events for the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) and Thomson Reuters covering topics such as shareholder activism, M&A, and private equity trends. He has co-authored articles published in various publications including Law360, The M&A Lawyer,
Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, and Transaction Advisors
, among others.
Mr. Soran is involved with both diversity and inclusion and pro bono efforts. Within Fried Frank, Mr. Soran serves on the Firmwide Diversity Committee. In 2016, The Leadership Council on Legal Diversity selected him as a Fellow. Mr. Soran regularly works on pro bono engagements with Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA) and Start Small Think Big.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Soran is recognized by The Legal 500 in M&A: Large Deals ($1 billion+) with client sources calling him “top notch” and “extremely responsive, deeply knowledgeable about M&A and…creative in addressing problems.” The publication has also listed him as a “Next Generation Lawyer” in 2017 and 2018 in recognition of his M&A experience.
Bar Admissions/Licensed Jurisdictions
New York, 2006