is a partner in Fried Frank's Real Estate Department, resident in the New York office. He joined the Firm in 2008 and became partner in 2016.
Mr. Bernstein specializes in real estate development, with a focus on land use. He represents a range of clients including private developers, not-for-profits, and religious organizations. His experience includes transactions for the purchase and sale of development rights, analysis of development potential and applications with governmental agencies including the New York City Planning Commission, the Board of Standards and Appeals, the Department of Buildings, and the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
Mr. Bernstein is recognized as an “Up and Coming” attorney by Chambers and Partners
in the Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use (New York) section and a “Next Generation Lawyer” by Legal 500
in Real Estate: Land Use and Zoning. Additionally, Mr. Bernstein was selected by Crain's New York Business
for its annual 40 Under 40 list of the most accomplished New York City-based business professionals under 40 years old.
Recent representations include the following:
- SL Green Realty Corp. with respect to special permits and negotiation of transit-related improvements for the One Vanderbilt office development project adjacent to Grand Central Terminal.
- The Moinian Group in zoning applications and tax abatement benefits for its 1.8 million-square-foot tower at 3 Hudson Boulevard.
- Trinity Church in the rezoning of an 18-block area in the Hudson Square neighborhood of Manhattan from manufacturing zoning to a mixed-use district.
- Greystone Development in joint venture and development agreements in connection with the construction of a new residential condominium building in the West Village.
- JEMB Realty in the purchase of development rights and land from the City of New York to facilitate development of a new office tower adjacent to Willoughby Square in Downtown Brooklyn.
- Time Equities with respect to zoning text changes, special permits, and transfer of development rights from the City of New York to facilitate the development of a 63-story mixed-use residential tower in Lower Manhattan.
- Citigroup in the approval of design changes to five public plazas surrounding the bank's global headquarters in Tribeca.
- Anbang Insurance Group with respect to land use considerations in connection with the acquisition of the Waldorf-Astoria hotel.
Mr. Bernstein has been a member of the Land Use Committee of the Bar Association of the City of New York and previously chaired the Zoning Committee of the Metro Chapter of the American Planning Association. He currently serves on the Board of NYU’s Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy, is a member of ULI NEXT New York, and REBNY’s Zoning and Design Committee.
Bar Admissions/Licensed Jurisdictions