We have developed a national reputation for success in handling the defense of corporations and individuals under criminal investigation. The Firm regularly defends clients facing investigations by the United States Department of Justice, United States Attorneys' Offices, District Attorneys' Offices, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Office of the Inspector General, and other federal and state regulatory and law enforcement agencies.
Conducted out of our New York, Washington, DC, and London offices, our practice complements our Securities Enforcement and Regulation Practice and our Internal Investigations Practice. We have handled numerous matters involving allegations of securities and other financial frauds, insider trading, market manipulation, anti-corruption violations, money laundering, RICO violations, and procurement and healthcare fraud. We often handle matters with parallel criminal, regulatory, and civil actions.
We have handled groundbreaking white collar cases and have been successful in obtaining results that will never become a matter of public record.
- Advising 55 investment bank professionals at 13 international investment institutions in connection with cross-border LIBOR, FX, ISDAfix, precious metals markets, and related investigations and prosecutions by DOJ, SFO, BaFin, and FINMA.
- Counsel to multiple New York State agencies and public authorities in connection with a DOJ political corruption investigation and prosecution relating to former New York state officials.
- The former president of Lehman Brothers Holdings in multiple regulatory and ongoing civil litigation matters arising from the collapse of Lehman Brothers, including investigations by the DOJ, SEC, and New York State Attorney General. The Supreme Court of the State of New York dismissed an investor fraud lawsuit that had been filed against the most senior executives of Lehman Brothers.
- Japanese auto parts manufacturer in connection with a DOJ investigation and related class action litigation arising from the largest antitrust cartel investigation in US history.
- One of the world's largest bank's global head of derivatives trading in a CFTC investigation regarding ISDAfix.
- Managing director of an investment bank in connection with parallel DOJ, SEC, and FINRA investigations relating to alleged fraudulent trading practices in the RMBS market.
- A real estate developer in connection with an SEC investigation concerning foreign investment and EB-5 projects.
- Automobile company executive in connection with DOJ, SEC, and congressional investigations, as well as multidistrict private litigation, relating to the recall of defective vehicle ignition switches.
- An industrial company in connection with an investigation by the DOJ's Antitrust Division arising from a whistleblower complaint regarding alleged collusive market practices in the US and Canada.
- Chief executive officer of an international logistics company that is the focus of an investigation being conducted by the DOJ Antitrust Division and antitrust authorities in Asia.
- Senior executive of a European shipping company in a long-running investigation being conducted by the DOJ Antitrust Division alleging that the company and several major Japanese shipping companies engaged in a global price fixing conspiracy and other anti-competitive practices in connection with providing trans-oceanic carrier services to automobile manufacturers.