Fried Frank's Derivatives Practice covers the full spectrum of OTC and listed derivatives, structured investments, securitization and other financial instruments involving derivative products. Our experience includes equity derivatives, currency and interest rate swaps, credit derivatives, futures and options, commodity derivatives, CDOs and CLOs, fund-linked products and structured synthetic investments, as well as more esoteric risk classes, such as longevity products.
Our team regularly advises:
- Buy- and sell-side clients
- Publicly traded companies on the use of equity derivatives for accelerated share repurchases and capped calls related to convertible bonds (working in tandem with our Finance Practice)
- Institutional asset managers on the standardization of their OTC derivatives platforms
- Hedge funds on their use of derivatives and related documentation issues
- Borrowers on their use of embedded derivatives, such as financing-related currency and interest rate swaps (working in tandem with our Finance Practice)
- Stakeholders in bankruptcy-related matters, including the bankruptcy of counterparties to derivatives transactions
- Broker-dealers, futures commission merchants, and other financial institutions on related regulatory and compliance matters
We often help our clients pioneer the use of these products across a broad range of transactions and asset classes. Our attorneys are recognized in the market for their deep technical expertise with derivatives documentation combined with broad knowledge of derivatives regulatory, tax, bankruptcy and related finance issues. Most importantly, our attorneys have an in-depth understanding of the business needs that drive the use of derivatives.
To meet the complex regulatory and cross-border considerations often involved with these products, we provide a fully integrated and multidisciplinary team, combining specialist practitioners from our regulatory, tax, asset management, leveraged and structured finance and restructuring and insolvency practices across the US and Europe.