Director of Diversity & Inclusion
Posted on: Oct 4, 2019
Office: New York
Type: Administrative Staff
Job Summary: The Director of Diversity & Inclusion has overall responsibility for firm-wide diversity and inclusion initiatives. Such strategies and programs will be designed to improve diversity of cultural background among Firm attorneys and staff, and achieve equal opportunity for all. The Director of Diversity & Inclusion will also work in developing, implementing, and monitoring programs and processes that promote and sustain diversity, equity, and respect throughout the Firm.
The Head of Diversity & Inclusion will interact on a daily basis with all members of Fried Frank. They will also have frequent interaction with professional organizations, vendors, and outside contacts including law schools and law students. Coordinate with all Firm offices and administrative departments, as appropriate, to support recruitment, marketing and communications, professional development, and human resources programs.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Initiatives
- Is the firm’s strategic thought leader and subject matter expert in the D&I space. Will be expected to come forward proactively and regularly with ideas and suggestions, and be prepared to execute and drive initiatives and projects as relevant.
- Knowledgeable about latest D&I research and practices.
- Sets the D&I strategy in conjunction with key stakeholders and the Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Ability to drive change in a highly matrixed role inspiring action at all levels. Align organization’s goals with D&I strategy.
- Articulate, implement, and execute vision.
- Influences members at different levels. Builds consensus.
Committee Assistance / Program Administration / Diversity Events
- Manages the full lifecycle of the department’s projects, initiatives, and events from initiation to close.
- Leads, in conjunction with the D&I Committee, the development of the department’s strategy and the design, implementation, and execution of events, projects, and initiatives to meet the Diversity & Inclusion department’s objectives.
- Ensures proper focus is being placed on the completion of projects. Ensures overall projects are aligned to meet the department's and the Diversity Committee's requirements. Creates metrics to measure the success of each project and / or event and overall success of the initiative.
- Develops relationships and partners with the Diversity Committee and Employee Resource Groups. Ensures meetings are actively progressing appropriately.
- Oversees execution of all Diversity meetings, derivative projects, and general events (e.g., panel discussions, speakers, co-sponsorships with diverse groups / organizations, summer associate program diversity events, professional development programming, and pipeline programs) for all Employee Resource Groups, the Diversity Committee, and any relevant subcommittees, clients, and law students.
- Establishes and manages the D&I department budget. Oversees expenses.
Research / Tracking / Information Gathering
- Will be responsible for designing and implementing systems to monitor, measure, and evaluate the progress and effectiveness of diversity initiatives and data reporting.
- Liaises with HR and Accounting departments to enhance processes and procedures for diversity data reporting and analysis, both within the Firm for assessment and awareness purposes, and externally, in response to client requests, bar association studies, and publication surveys.
- Develops metrics in partnership with HR, interprets data, and presents in a compelling way. Oversees preparation of reports to be delivered to the Diversity Committee, Firm Clients, etc.
- Develops KPI’s across firm related diversity initiatives to measure progress.
- Oversees the response to client requests for diversity information and local and national survey requests related to diversity in the legal profession.
- Interprets data on retention and development of minority and women attorneys in the Firm.
- Captures and proactively circulates reports, articles, and developments in the law and corporate world regarding diversity.
- Develops and sources content, and oversees the management of the diversity intranet site and calendar, keeping content current and relevant.
- Is responsible for the completion of all D&I related survey responses, and gives thoughtful guidance on responses.
Development of External Relationships
- Be the public face of D&I for the Firm; participate in panels, conferences, and other events.
- Promotes positive image externally and develops broad relationships with clients, law schools, minority bars, and other organizations.
- Assists in the development and coordination of Firm diversity pipeline initiatives, including relevant sponsorships, law firm events, and summer educational programs in all offices.
- Participates in the recruiting of diverse candidates through the development and coordination of outreach efforts. Establishes and maintains relationships with diverse organizations / groups, law school administrators, and employee resource groups.
- Develops and coordinates in conjunction with recruiting, external programs and events at law schools.
- Interacts and works closely with Recruitment, Marketing, Communications, and Professional Development Departments.
- Ensures the accuracy and timely update of systems to track all external diversity-related sponsorships and provides reports for internal intranet, website and marketing brochures, and responses to external requests.
- Responsible for various newsletters (email and hardcopy publications) and related communications on Firm diversity programs and events.
- Responsible for emails and correspondence to various internal and external audiences regarding diversity initiatives.
- Develop and manage D&I team. Provide feedback, advice, and guidance in day-to-day activities and overall strategy.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Education: College Degree Required
- Minimum of four years of experience in the Diversity & Inclusion area in professional services, academia, non-profit, or other industry.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in broader HR, consulting, project management, or related area.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate and develop relationships with attorneys and business services professionals at all levels and contacts outside the Firm.
- Strong project management, administrative, organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills required. Must possess analytical skills, particularly with respect to presenting statistics and numerical data effectively to show a compelling story.
- Ability to operate effectively across a range of management levels, styles, and cultures.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must possess an engaging communication style.
- Must be an innovative thinker and align demands of the Firm’s attorneys and the needs of the Firm and department.
- Ability to act in a professional and business-like manner at all times.
- Ability to handle administrative tasks and prioritize multiple assignments.
- Ability to work under pressure with interruptions and meet tight deadlines. Flexibility to work beyond the standard work hours and travel as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively in meetings, assess a situation, use sound and independent judgment in resolving problems, and determine appropriate actions to be taken.
- Ability to take initiative and follow through on projects.
- Ability to treat sensitive information confidentially and maintain complete confidentiality as required. Must be detail-oriented, forward-thinking, proactive, highly motivated, hard-working, enthusiastic, and possess a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in matters of significance to the Firm.
- Proficiency with various software programs such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook.
Please submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org