Head of European Business Development & Marketing
Posted on: Sep 25, 2019
Department: Marketing and Business Development
Type: Administrative Staff
The Head of European Business Development & Marketing is responsible for providing strategic business development (BD) and marketing advice and support to the Firm’s fast-growing European practice, developing and implementing best practice strategies and activities, with support from the global Business Development & Marketing team.
Managing a team of three based in London, with additional on-the-ground consultancy support in key areas, the Head of European Business Development & Marketing role works closely with the Global Director of BD & Marketing and other key members of the BD & Marketing leadership team, such as the Directors of BD and Communications on cross-border BD, PR and marketing communications initiatives.
Reporting to the Global Director of BD & Marketing, with a dotted line to the new, incoming COO for the London office, this position requires an individual who is a self-starter, collaborative, highly service-orientated and possesses a client-focused mentality.
BD & Marketing responsibilities include helping to shape the strategic positioning for the Firm’s European practices within the context of the Fried Frank brand; partnering with the global BD & Marketing leadership team and practice leaders to develop and support integrated BD plans for the core practices and individual partners based in London and Frankfurt; supporting client relationship-building initiatives; facilitating lead generation and cross-selling opportunities within London and Frankfurt and with the US; and identifying and supporting effective thought leadership and profile-raising initiatives in Europe.
In addition, further responsibilities include:
In addition, it is expected that this position will be one of the business services leaders in the London office and a part of the global BD & Marketing leadership team. As such, this position should:
- Working in collaboration with BD & Marketing leadership to develop annual BD & marketing plans and associated budgets for the London and Frankfurt practices, and individual partners.
- Working with the European partners and BD leadership to develop and manage a structured approach to key client targeting and development in the region and ensure coordination with the US practices where relevant.
- Working with the Communications team and an external PR agency on the creation and implementation of a media relations program. In addition, using this program to develop content marketing strategies to further engage with clients and prospective targets in the market.
- Overseeing the management of all marketing materials, content and collateral used to promote the European offices and practices, ensuring everything is kept up-to-date and selling messages are compelling.
- Working with the Communications team on the creation of awards submissions.
- Coordinating and developing bespoke pitch materials, proposals and RFP responses, including collaborating with the global BD team where appropriate.
- Working closely with the Business Intelligence team in conducting market and competitor analysis for target markets, key clients and prospects.
- Overseeing the management of Chambers and Legal 500 submissions for the European practices in collaboration with an external directories consultant.
- Identifying and prioritizing organizations and events in which practices and partners will participate, and in overseeing the planning and execution of hosted and sponsored events.
- Assisting with the integration of new partners and lawyers to the Firm.
- Assisting in the development and management of a BD & Marketing training program for European lawyers.
- Efficient and effective tracking and reporting of BD, marketing and matter activity and successes.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Be able to create and deliver on strategic BD & Marketing plans that will help differentiate Fried Frank in the market place.
- Serve as a mentor and leader for the BD & Marketing team based in London, including a Specialist, Coordinator and an Intern.
- Manage team performance and set goals, ensure the team’s continuous professional development, provide opportunities for team members to demonstrate and build skills and ensure the team has adequate resources to provide high-quality service.
- Collaborate with other business services leaders and with BD & Marketing leadership to identify and share best practices that will deliver the highest quality service and work product to the partnership and to our clients.
Educational Qualifications and Job Experience Requirements:
- A track record of effective team leadership and demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate across functions, teams and geographies.
- Ability to lead discussions with partners related to strategy, developing creative approaches to winning new business and a proven ability to help expand client relationships.
- Ability to drive change and motivate a diverse group of partners and to work within a partnership environment.
- Self-starter with a strong and flexible work ethic.
- Strong organizational skills, including excellent project management and best practice process implementation skills.
- Flexibility, willingness and ability to work with a wide variety of people and projects through a collective and collaborative approach to build connectivity.
- Strong writing and communication skills, with particular attention to detail.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and work to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of Word, Powerpoint, Outlook and Excel. Ability to learn and utilize additional programs or services.
Please submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
- 12+ years of experience in a business development or marketing role, preferably at a Head of or Senior Manager BD or Marketing role at an international law firm in London.
- At least 5 years of team management experience.
- Minimum BA, BS or degree equivalent. MBA preferred.