Janice Mac Avoy
is a member of the Real Estate Department and the Litigation Department, head of the Real Estate Litigation Practice Group and co-chair of the Firm's Pro Bono Committee.
Ms. Mac Avoy concentrates her practice in complex real estate-related transactions and disputes, commercial litigation and arbitration, complex commercial landlord tenant disputes and commercial fair market rent arbitrations. She also has extensive experience in creditor's rights, including complex commercial real estate mortgage foreclosures and UCC foreclosures, workouts and restructuring of real estate secured debt. Ms. Mac Avoy works with the Firm's Real Estate Department on transactions in order to resolve issues without resorting to litigation.
Among Ms. Mac Avoy's recent noteworthy representations are:
- Normandy Real Estate Partners in its sale and acquisition of 575 Lexington Avenue.
- Richard Cohen of Capital Properties in the successful defense of a claim by a lender under a non-recourse carve-out guaranty.
- Princeton Holdings LLC in the successful arbitration of a dispute regarding the acquisition of a 50% tenant-in-common interest in the Ring Portfolio -- 14 Manhattan properties, valued in excess of US$450 million at the time of the agreement and currently worth significantly more.
- RBC in its foreclosure action and subsequent restructuring of debt on the iconic Lipstick Building in New York City.
- Lehman Brothers in connection with several foreclosure actions, including a significant development site adjacent to Hudson Yards in New York City.
- Blackstone in a potential ground lease rent reset arbitration that was successfully negotiated with the landlord without the need to resort to arbitration.
Ms. Mac Avoy's clients include commercial landlords and tenants, lenders and investors, broker-dealers and multinational corporations as well as individuals involved in commercial disputes. A significant amount of Ms. Mac Avoy's practice includes advising clients on complex securitized debt in which the underlying assets are real estate, including the enforcement of lender's rights, acquisition and divestitures of real estate secured debt and the restructuring of real estate secured debt. She also advises clients in complex partnership and joint venture disputes.
Ms. Mac Avoy has created seminars and CLE presentations on, among other things, the basics of real estate restructuring and workouts, mezzanine loan foreclosures under the UCC and the parameters of the attorney-client privilege in the corporate context. Ms. Mac Avoy has also published articles on lender liability claims, developments in the law of attorney-client privilege, electronic discovery and the appropriate use of email.
Honors & Awards
Ms. Mac Avoy received the “Courage Award” from The Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles for her exceptional dedication and commitment in the fight to protect women’s reproductive freedom. She received the "Commitment to Justice Award" for her extensive work on and long-term commitment to family law cases referred to her by Her Justice (formerly inMotion). In addition, she was named a 2016 Woman of Influence by Real Estate Forum.
Member, American Law Institute
Member, CREW Network (The Association of Commercial Real Estate Women)
Member and Voting Representative, CRE Finance Council
Board Member, Sanctuary for Families
Board Member, Center for Reproductive Rights
Bar Admissions/Licensed Jurisdictions
New York, the United States Supreme Court, federal courts in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Eastern District of Michigan and the United States Courts of Appeal for the Second, Third and Ninth Circuits