is a partner in the Firm's Corporate Department and co-head of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice, resident in the New York office.
Mr. Epstein advises public and private companies, financial sponsors, and investment banking firms in connection with mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, takeover preparedness, and corporate governance matters.
A trusted business advisor, Mr. Epstein brings extensive knowledge and experience from different deal-making perspectives, having advised clients both as an attorney and as an investment banker at Credit Suisse. In this position, he advised companies in a variety of transactions, including IPOs, secondary offerings, PIPEs, private placements, and M&A opportunities.
Mr. Epstein regularly advises some of the leading companies in the US. Recent representations include advising:
- Becton, Dickinson and Company in its acquisition of TVA Medical.
- Leidos Holdings in the US$170 million sale of its commercial cybersecurity business to Capgemini America, Inc.
- Catalent in numerous engagements including its acquisition of Accucaps Industries Limited, Micron Technologies, and Redwood Bioscience.
- W.R. Grace in numerous engagements including its US$416 million acquisition of the polyolefin catalysts business of Albemarle Corporation, its acquisition of BASF's polyolefin catalyst business, and its US$500 million acquisition of the UNIPOL Polypropylene Licensing and Catalysts business of The Dow Chemical Company.
- Koch Equity Development in its preferred equity investment in connection with the US$2.4 billion merger of Air Medical Group Holdings, a KKR portfolio company, with American Medical Response.
- Apollo Global Management in numerous engagements, including advising the special committee of the board of directors of Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance in its US$641 million acquisition of Apollo Residential Mortgage.
- Stella Point Capital in numerous engagements including its investments in Rightpoint Consulting, First American Payment Systems, and Intermex Holdings, as well as various add-on acquisitions.
- Goldman Sachs as financial advisor to C.R. Bard in its US$24 billion sale to Becton Dickinson and Company.
- Quality Distribution in its US$800 million sale to Apax Partners.
Mr. Epstein regularly speaks on developments in M&A and on emerging corporate governance trends. He has also written extensively on these topics in various publications, including M&A Lawyer, The New York Law Journal
, Law360, The M&A Journal,
Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, and Transaction Advisors
, among others. In 2018, Mr. Epstein was awarded the Law360 Distinguished Legal Writing Award for his article The Dramatic Transformation of M&A Law Since 2014.
He currently serves on the Board of Directors of Fordham University School of Law and the Advisory Board of the Practical Law Company. He is also a member of the New York City Bar Association's Committee: Mergers, Acquisitions & Corporate Control Contests.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Epstein is regularly recognized by such publications as Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading individual in Corporate/M&A, The Legal 500 in M&A, and Super Lawyers. In 2016, he was named a Rockefeller Fellow by the Partnership for New York City. He is also a Corporate Governance Fellow of the National Association of Corporate Directors, as well as a member of their General Counsel Steering Committee and has been recognized in their Directorship 100 as a leading advisor to corporate boards. In 2018, Mr. Epstein was awarded the Law360 Distinguished Legal Writing Award for his article The Dramatic Transformation of M&A Law Since 2014.
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Bar Admissions/Licensed Jurisdictions